POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : I've seen the light! : I've seen the light! Server Time
7 May 2024 05:48:35 EDT (-0400)
  I've seen the light!
From: clipka
Date: 1 Dec 2016 10:07:50
Message: <58403cc6@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

another variant of POV-Ray has seen the light of day. Please welcome...
(Ta-da!)

    MiniPOV
    =======

A truly minimalistic version of POV-Ray that works without all the stuff
nobody really needs: The Virtual Front-End module, the front-end module,
the message-massing layer, the user-defined functions virtual machine,
the back-end thread control module -- heck, even the parser had to go.

Because let's face it: All we really need is a bare-bones render engine.
We'll hack in the scene description in C++, and re-compile the binary
every time we make a change. And who needs fancy image output when we
can have a text mode preview?

And guess what: It works! YAY! :D

There's a serious background to this though: That sorry little excuse of
a renderer will serve as a testbed to find out how successful I've been
in separating POV-Ray's modules. With the project set up entirely from
scratch, all it uses from the official projects is the source code of
the base module and core render engine module.

Turns out the core module is already better than I had feared. Still, it
has highlighted various issues that still need sorting out -- mostly
expected (such as failure to set various default values upon object
construction), but a few I did not expect, like some compile-time config
settings that don't come with defaults.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'minipov.png' (9 KB)